Search For the Holy Kale… I found it! After years of trying to get more kale into my life, I came across this amazing recipe on smittenkitchen.com. While there are quite a few steps, it is pretty simple, and well worth the effort! Delicious! PS – The Smitten Kitchen cookbook will be available at Art Effect soon!
Kale Salad with Pecorino and Walnuts
- 1/2 cup (105 grams or 3 3/4 ounces) walnut halves or pieces
- 1/4 cup (45 grams or 1 1/2 ounces) golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup panko (15 grams or 1/2 ounce) or slightly coarse homemade breadcrumbs (from a thin slice of hearty bread)
- 1 tiny clove garlic, minced or pressed
- Coarse or kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch (about 14 ounces or 400 grams) tuscan kale (also known as black or lacinato kale; this is the thinner, flatter leaf variety), washed and patted dry
- 2 ounces (55 grams) pecorino cheese, grated or ground in a food processor, which makes it delightfully crubbly (1/2 cup total)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper or red pepper flakes, to taste
Prepare walnuts: Heat oven to 350. Toast walnuts on a baking sheet for 10 minutes, tossing once. Let cool and coarsely chop.
Prepare raisins: In a small saucepan over low heat, simmer white wine vinegar, water and raisins for 5 minutes, until plump and soft. Set aside in liquid.
Prepare crumbs: Toast bread crumbs, garlic and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a skillet together with a pinch of salt until golden. Set aside.
Prepare kale: Trim heavy stems off kale and remove ribs. I always find removing the ribs annoying with a knife, because the leaves want to roll in on the knife and make it hard to get a clean cut. Instead, I’ve taken to tearing the ribs off with my fingers, which is much easier for me. Stack sections of leaves and roll them into a tube, then cut them into very thin ribbons crosswise.
Assemble salad: Put kale in a large bowl. Add pecorino, walnuts and raisins (leaving any leftover vinegar mixture in dish), remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice and toss until all the kale ribbons are coated. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and some of the reserved vinegar mixture from the raisins, if needed. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving, if you can, as it helps the ingredients come together. Just before serving, toss with breadcrumbs and, if needed, a final 1 teaspoon drizzle of olive oil.
Get the Look:
Yoon Veronica Deer Pullover Sweater
Intarsia knit sweater in wide stripes of eggplant and mushroom with an adorable pair of deer on the chest. $155.00
Three Dots Wine Long Tank
Ultra-soft and versatile, Three Dots long tank has max layering potential. $62.00
Sanctuary Charmer Forest Green Corduroy
The Charmer Skinny from Sanctuary flatters every figure with a cut that hugs the body without feeling constricted. $118.00 available in-store.
Altiplano Needlepoint Tote
Brown leather and floral needlepoint tote folded over as a clutch. $98.00 available in-store.